Want to go out to dinner but don’t know where? Stuck in a rut of the same restaurant over and over again? Help is at hand! Rossouw’s Restaurants editor Jean-Pierre Rossouw has been a restaurant reviewer for The Mail & Guardian as well as Food and Wine Editor for Condé Nast House and Garden. He is also the wine writer for the Cape Times and Best Life magazine. His guide Rossouw’s Restaurants has grown to become a top ten best-seller at leading bookstores – now find out a bit more about the man himself.
1. Where are you – in South Africa or out in the wide world?
Bot River, Overberg, and all over Cape, plus now also eating in Gauteng
2. How long have you been blogging?
Since January 2006
3. What do you enjoy the most about food or wine blogging?
It’s a great repository of experiences – a diary when memory fails or takes a glass too many…
4. Any downsides or frustrations?
When you get few comments and wonder whether there is anybody out there…
5. What or who are your inspirations to cook, drink and write?
The rage of gastric impatience, the search for a great plate.
6. Where and when do you like to blog?
As soon as possible after a meal, while the experience is fresh, like good bread.
7. What’s your signature dish or favourite wine?
Depends on the day and where I find myself. I am Catholic in my tastes.
8. What other food or wine blogs do you read?
The Food Section is often my guide.
9. Favourite restaurant?
Please consult Rossouw’s Restaurants 2008, in bookstores now! The website will reveal all later this year, meanwhile my eating experiences are on the site’s blog.
10. For my last meal on this planet I would order…
The chef’s tasting menu of 100 dishes, paired with the finest wines.