Kumkani is the Xhosa word for king – which tells you a lot about the high regard that this company has for its products. The company in question is the company of wine people and their five core brands are both household names in South Africa as well as gaining market share abroad: Thandi (the first certified Fairtrade wine), Arniston Bay, Versus, Welmoed and Kumkani. Apart from Kukani's main website, they also operate the Kumkani Wines blog from where they aim to inform and entertain us with wine news from South Africa and around the world. Now read on to find out a little more about the man behind the blog…
1. Where are you – in South Africa or out in the wide world?
Stellenbosch , South Africa
2. How long have you been blogging?
Just over 1 year (more or less)
3. What do you enjoy the most about food or wine blogging?
To be able to read and write about the things a like and somewhere, someone is reading my writings (thoughts).
4. Any downsides or frustrations?
It is sometimes time consuming and it is frustrating when you get no response (comments).
5. What or who are your inspirations to cook, drink and write?
My wife and close friends
6. Where and when do you like to blog?
At home, after the kids are a sleep
7. What's your signature dish or favourite wine?
Lamb shanks in a red wine sauce. Favourite wine : Kumkani Cab / Merlot
9. Favourite restaurant?
Pigalle – Green Point, Cape Town
10. For my last meal on this planet I would order…
Something that takes very,very long to prepare. Jokes!
I would order oxtail, with dumplings and a bottle of red wine, preferably a Bordeaux blend.