Food bloggers in South Africa seem to be so tightly concentrated in the Cape that I get quite excited when I find somebody who is blogging about food from another part of the country – and that was the case with Faridah, who is based in Johannesburg and blogs at Faridah's Flavours. Faridah writes like the kind of person whose kitchen table you'd like to sit at with a mug of coffee and a rusk for a good chat – and her home-cooking recipes reflect her no-fuss attitude. Let's get to know her a little better:
1. Where are you – in South Africa or out in the wide world?
2. How long have you been blogging?
Since March 2009
3. What do you enjoy the most about food or wine blogging?
The friends I've made – and the platform to share my recipes and thoughts.
4. Any downsides or frustrations?
Hmmm…seeing as I can only blog at work (shhh) I tend to have to WORK more often than I can blog!
5. What or who are your inspirations to cook, drink and write?
My late Dad cooked superbly. My great appetite is my real inspiration.
6. Where and when do you like to blog?
When I'm having a quiet moment at work – and when I've got something worthwhile to share.
7. What's your signature dish or favourite wine?
Marmalade glazed bread & butter pudding.
8. What other food or wine blogs do you read?
As many as I can Google!
9. Favourite restaurant?
Bismillah in Fordsburg. And Lord Prawn. And Ocean Basket. NO, don't make me choose.
10. For my last meal on this planet I would order…
Roast chicken with a crispy skin, roast potatoes, sweet carrots, chocolate mousse.